The Better Government Association needs a full-time Web & Graphics Editor to lead our digital publishing and design efforts.
This person will manage presentation and publishing of these stories on the bettergov.org CMS. The Web & Graphics Editor will report to the Vice President of Operations, who oversees all digital content and style; but work most closely with the Director of Investigations, the Editor, and our team of seven investigative reporters toward conceptualizing, building and laying out stories — words, images and photos, illustrations and data visualizations, audio/video — in an innovative, multi-platform and consistent way.
The Web & Graphics Editor will also participate in designing special digital content from the Civic Engagement department (to-be-launched online garden of Explainers on key issues) and illustrations and the data-visualizations from the Policy department, as needed.
The ideal candidate has at least three years of experience in web editing, story illustration, and publishing; and has familiarity with and ability to custom-build attractive, highly functional web packages for content. Familiarity with Drupal is plus, but not mandatory if you are a quick study with significant time working with other CMS/design languages (Tarbell, etc.)
The ideal candidate is a hybrid journalist + digital/designer who understands storytelling, is passionate about in-depth investigative reporting, and sees it as his or her mission to work collaboratively with excellent reporters to create powerful layouts and visuals that increase the impact of important stories.
The ideal candidate will be a key player in the re-design of the standard story layouts, style guides, and decision making around support tools. You must be a strong designer with ideas who is creative and collaborative with clear artistic and visual skills. We are building the backbones for making stories like this, and this, and this, and this.
…and it will be your job to make these work, story by story.
- Design, manage and publish all content for BGA stories (Drupal CMS) with the utmost attention to detail; journalistic accuracy; beautiful, user-friendly, dynamic design; speed and efficiency.
- Work closely and collaboratively to conceptualize, design, and publish stories, from heavy-duty investigative journalism packages (illustrations, data visualizations, photos, videos); issue explainers, policy analyses, columns, and standard news items.
- Collaborate with the Marketing team to ensure the story content is shareable on the social web.
- Work as a strategic partner with leadership toward re-fitting the BGA’s website and creating new approaches to presenting content on the Web.
- Track analytics, measure progress against goals and provide regular reports and strategy recommendations.
- Function as project manager for special story projects (interfacing and managing outside vendors, freelancers, as needed).
- Stay current on new and emerging trends and apply appropriately to BGA efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 3 years experience in story design, illustration, data-visualization, web publishing
- Highly proficient in web-based publishing and design technologies
- Experience/knowledge in webpage design, web programming techniques and protocols
- Excellent design skills
- Writing and editing and skills (you’ll catch mistakes, care about the words and accuracy).
- Ability to communicate effectively both on and offline
- Interest in and basic knowledge of state and local Illinois government expected
Email Ernest Crowder, Vice President of Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org — send cover letter, resume, and examples of work.
The Better Government Association is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.” All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, including minorities, women, veteran, and individuals with disabilities.