Expected hands-on classes
Get skills to help you dig into your next story with hands-on classes at IRE in San Francisco. If you’re looking to get your feet wet with spreadsheets or level up to mapping, we’ve got you covered. You’ll find classes at the IRE Conference that will help you do all of this and more:
- Liberate data from pesky PDF files
- Analyze large amounts of information quickly with spreasheets and database managers
- Turn addresses into mapable points
- Give your data a makeover with clean-up tricks in spreadsheets and OpenRefine
- Make maps with Fusion Tables and ArcGIS*
- Make your breaking news coverage shine with searchable databases
- Discover the power of programming for data wrangling
- Conquer common problems in Excel
- Get data from other sources into spreadsheets
*Our three-class series using GIS software will give your mapping skills a jumpstart. Those who attend all three sessions will receive a free copy of ArcGIS Desktop from Esri. Preregistratioin for the three-class mapping series is required and will be open at the conference. Stay tuned to the conference schedule for more details.
Seating is limited all classes are first-come, first-served. Check the schedule for class dates and times.
Tableau Public Training (Vendor Session)
Tableau Public will be offering two hands-on training sessions on Thursday, June 26. Laptops will be provided for both classes. The training is free, however you must be registered for the IRE Conference to attend these classes. Seating is limited.
Tableau Public for Beginners will go from 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. We’ll teach you how to: Connect to Excel files and other data, create maps and charts, format them beautifully and make them interactive. No previous experience with Tableau is necessary to take this class. Laptops will be provided. (This sessions is full. A few additional seats will be available for on-site registration.)
Tableau Public for Pros will go from 1:30 – 5:30 p.m. In this class we’ll push Tableau’s capabilities further to create more complex visualizations. You’ll learn how to: Clean and format dirty data, use multiple data sources in the same visualization, build more advanced visualizations and employ advanced interactive elements. Class participants should have some experience with Tableau or have taken the morning beginner course. Register for this training today.
Caspio Training (Vendor Session)
Caspio will be offering several hands-on sessions on Thursday, June 26. Laptops will be provided for the classes. The training is free, however you must be registered for the IRE Conference to attend. Seating is limited, so pre-registration is highly encouraged for these sessions. No previous Caspio experience is necessary. Sessions include:
- Rapid Data Publishing with Caspio, this session is offered again in the afternoon from 1:30-3:20 p.m.
- Caspio Map Mashup
- App Styling for Web and Mobile