Support watchdog journalism
At Investigative Reporters & Editors, we believe every journalist can be an investigative journalist. Here’s how you can help.
AN INVESTMENT WITH IMPACT
An investment in IRE provides essential training and support to thousands of journalists in newsrooms large and small. Your donation is tax deductible; IRE is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.
- Provides training to 9,000+ journalists around the world every year. IRE’s experienced trainers travel to small towns and major cities to reach communities in need.
- Creates a vibrant community for IRE’s nearly 6,000 members.
- Supports IRE’s efforts to be intentional with its diversity initiatives.
- Awards fellowships and scholarships to journalists of color and other underrepresented groups to attend investigative and data training events.
- Assembles the world’s best investigative and data journalists as speakers for conferences and workshops that offer hands-on learning and practical skills.
- Offers free or low-cost research and data services to newsrooms and freelance journalists.
- Compiles thousands of investigative stories, resources and other training materials created by journalists, for journalists — all free to members.
- Coordinates mentorship for hundreds of journalists of all skills levels, breaking down competitive barriers and fostering collaboration.
- Curates the best of old-school and new-school reporting techniques to help our members hold the powerful accountable.
SPREAD THE WORD ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Download our ready-to-use social media images for Facebook and Twitter.
Our key social accounts include:
Fundraising Hashtag: #IREstrong
Please direct donors to: http://bit.ly/DonateIRE
Suggested social posts:
[email protected]_NICAR believes every journalist can be an investigative journalist. Show your support with a tax-deductible donation. Your investment provides critical training, mentorship and support to newsrooms around the world. http://bit.ly/DonateIRE #IREstrong
Show your support for investigative journalism. For 43 years, @IRE_NICAR has brought together the world’s best watchdogs. Help them provide critical training and mentorship. #IREstrong
Learn more: https://www.ire.org/2018-giving/
Help us keep investigative journalism strong in communities across the country. A donation to @IRE_NICAR supports a nation of watchdogs. #IREstrong http://bit.ly/DonateIRE
Invest in the power of the press. I’m donating to @IRE_NICAR to ensure thousands of journalists get training, mentorship and support. #IREstrong http://bit.ly/DonateIRE
HOST A FACEBOOK FUNDRAISER
Encourage your friends, family and colleagues to support IRE with a Facebook fundraiser.
Follow these easy step-by-step instructions:
- Log in to your Facebook account and visit IRE’s fundraising page.
- “How much money do you want to raise?” This is a personal question; it’s up to you. We suggest anything from $50 to $1,000 (or more). You know your audience better than we do.
- “When should the fundraiser end?” We recommend ending on Jan 5.
- Click “Next.”
- IRE’s mission will automatically populate in the field, “Why are you raising money?” Feel free to change this to your personal message.
- Click “Next.”
- You will have the option to post a photo; the IRE Facebook profile image will automatically populate. We’ve made a special annual giving image you can use, if you want to swap it out.
- When you click “Create,” your fundraiser is LIVE!
- Spread the word! Invite friends, family and colleagues to donate to your campaign.
Feel free to offer a matching gift on your Facebook fundraiser. For example, if you plan to donate $100, state that you will match the first $100 donated to your Facebook fundraiser. It will get people even more motivated to give. Don’t forget to add your donation to your fundraiser!
Facebook Fundraiser FAQ
Why are we asking members to set up a Facebook fundraiser for IRE’s year-end campaign?
- Facebook and PayPal are partnering to match the first $7 million to U.S. nonprofits raising money on Facebook on Giving Tuesday (Nov 27). The matching begins at 8 am ET/5 am PT.
- IRE will have a Facebook page highlighting all the IRE Facebook fundraisers taking place from Giving Tuesday through Jan 5.
- It could be a fun way to raise money and spark friendly competition among members.
When should I set up my Facebook fundraiser?
Ideally, you would set it up before you go to bed on Monday, Nov. 26, or first thing in the morning on Tuesday, Nov. 27 (Giving Tuesday).
Once you go through the steps and click the last button, your fundraiser goes live. Your fundraiser can’t be set up ahead of time and scheduled. If you need to set it up earlier than Nov. 26, we understand.
Does Facebook keep any of the money donated?
No, Facebook charges no fees for contributions made to nonprofits.
Can people donate privately?
Yes. To donate privately, the person should select “Only me” from the privacy menu in the donation form. Fundraiser creators can see all donations, and only they can see donation amounts.
How does IRE receive the money from a Facebook fundraiser?
Facebook sends the money directly to IRE every two weeks.
How do donors get a receipt for their contribution?
After making a donation, an email confirmation will be sent to the donor’s primary email listed on his/her Facebook account.
The email receipt shows a donation was made to a charitable organization and that no goods or services were received in return.
MORE WAYS TO DONATE
IRE’s secure mobile-friendly donation site.
IRE is registered with PayPal’s Giving Fund. PayPal covers all transaction costs for donations made on this site, ensuring that 100% of each gift made is available to charity.
To contribute by check, please mail your donation to:
Investigative Reporters & Editors
Attn: Heather Feldmann Henry
141 Neff Annex, UMC
Columbia, MO 65211
Feel free to offer a matching gift on your Facebook fundraiser (see above). For example, if you plan to donate $100, state you will match the first $100 donated to your Facebook fundraiser. It will get people even more motivated to give.
Find out if you can double the impact of your donation. Many organizations/companies will match employees’ contributions. Ask your employer about matching gifts.