Show where the story is happening with maps in Tableau Public (Hosted by Tableau)
Maps are where it’s at, and with the addition of spatial file support you can viz outside the box too. In this session you will learn different methods for building maps in Tableau Public. We will teach you how to:
- Determine what kind of mapping data you’re looking at
- Take advantage of spatial file support in Tableau Public
- Beautify maps with built-in and Mapbox-supported backgrounds
- Integrate maps into your dashboards
- Utilize design and layout best practices to make sure that your visualization looks polished and professional
Tableau Public is a free tool for journalists. Some familiarity with the product is recommended; a beginner session earlier in the day should prepare you enough for this session. Laptops will be provided. This is a free training, however you must be registered for the IRE Conference to attend this class. Limited seats are available. There may be a few seats available on-site.
Jenny Richards is a Senior Data Artist and part of the Tableau Public team, working to help journalists and bloggers turn rows of numbers into visualizations that are interesting, insightful, and beautiful. A dedicated volunteer and do-gooder, she loves supporting others who want to change the world in real life and through data visualization. You can follow her on Twitter as @jnnyrchrds, read her posts on the Tableau Public blog, and reach out over email to [email protected] if you have projects where you’d like to collaborate.
No tipsheets have yet been uploaded for this event.