Lightning Talks (Sponsored by the Knight Foundation)
Sometimes you don't need 45 minutes to explain a useful technique or interesting resource. Join your colleagues for a session of short (5-minute) talks about doing CAR, Web development or other related topics.
The talks will be:
- Sensor Journalism in the Age of Trump’s EPA -- Kelly Calagna
- HELLO WORLD: How the English language failed international data journalism -- Jonathan Soma
- Good Copy Editors Make Good Data Journalists -- Justin Myers
- We Need Multiple Career Paths for News Nerds -- Matt Dempsey
- Immigrants working in the news industry -- Kai Teoh
- The news nerd guide to forming a union -- Jon Schleuss
- Hope for the best, prepare for the worst -- Alexandra Kanik
- I can’t believe it’s not georeferenced! How we made a scrolly eclipse map with rubber bands, screenshots and math. -- Denise Lu
- Real Talk: Alcohol, Journalism and What I Did About It -- Rachel Alexander
- I designed and built a dining room table; here's what it taught me about data -- Steven Rich
Sandhya Kambhampati is a data reporter at ProPublica Illinois, where she uses statistics to uncover structural issues and abuses. Most recently, she co-reported on the widespread inaccuracies in Cook County's property tax assessment system, which was a 2018 Pulitzer Prize Finalist in Local Reporting. Before she joined ProPublica, she was a Knight-Mozilla fellow at Correctiv and a database reporter at Chronicle of Higher Education. Twitter: @sandhya__k
No tipsheets have yet been uploaded for this event.