Publish the data behind your stories with SQLite and Datasette
Datasette is a tool for exploring and publishing data. It can be used on a laptop to analyze data, then publish that data to the web as an interactive website and accompanying JSON API.
Datasette is part of an ecosystem of tools built on top of SQLite, a fast and flexible open-source database engine. Data that starts life as CSV, JSON or other formats can be converted to SQLite, joined against other data, analyzed, visualized and then published online.
This workshop will cover:
- Using Datasette to explore and analyze data from a variety of sources
- Converting CSV data to SQLite
- Publishing databases online using Datasette and Heroku
- Using full-text search and facets to quickly analyze large and complex datasets
- Visualizing numeric and geographic data using Datasette plugins
This session is good for: those with some familiarity with SQL.
Simon Willison is an engineering director at Eventbrite. Simon joined Eventbrite through their acquisition of Lanyrd, a startup he co-founded in 2010. He is a co-creator of the Django Web Framework and has been blogging about web development since 2002 at https://simonwillison.net/ Simon is the creator of Datasette, a new tool for publishing structured data as a web API. Datasette is based on his experiences working as a data journalist at the UK's Guardian newspaper.
No tipsheets have yet been uploaded for this event.