Publish the data behind your stories with SQLite and Datasette
Datasette is a tool for exploring and publishing data. It can be used on a laptop to analyze data, then publish that data to the web as an interactive website and accompanying JSON API.
Datasette is part of an ecosystem of tools built on top of SQLite, a fast and flexible open-source database engine. Data that starts life as CSV, JSON or other formats can be converted to SQLite, joined against other data, analyzed, visualized and then published online.
This workshop will cover:
- Using Datasette to explore and analyze data from a variety of sources
- Converting CSV data to SQLite
- Publishing databases online using Datasette and Heroku
- Using full-text search and facets to quickly analyze large and complex datasets
- Visualizing numeric and geographic data using Datasette plugins
This session is good for: those with some familiarity with SQL.
Simon is the creator of Datasette, a tool for exploring and publishing data. Datasette is based on Simon's experiences working as a data journalist at the UK's Guardian newspaper. Simon is also a co-creator of the Django web framework. He is currently participating in the JSK Fellowship program at Stanford. https://simonwillison.net/ - @simonw
No tipsheets have yet been uploaded for this event.