Transparentem is a U.S.-based non-profit that advances the well-being of workers and communities by exposing hard truths to those with the power to transform industries, primarily companies sourcing products from global supply chains. Our goal is to eradicate environmental and human rights abuses in global supply chains. We are currently focused on the apparel and footwear industries. Transparentem does not publish the products of its investigations. Instead, we deliver our reports strategically to selected entities best positioned to leverage their influence to positively impact vulnerable populations and remediate degraded environments.
We are seeking an Associate Analyst, who will report to the Deputy Vice President of Investigations. The Investigations Team conducts supply-chain, legal, and field research to identify human-rights violations and environmental abuses at apparel suppliers. The Associate Analyst supports the work of the entire Investigations Team, primarily by performing desktop research and fact-checking deliverables. The Associate Analyst also provides logistical and administrative support to the Investigative Team and represents the Investigative Team in certain cross-departmental initiatives.
The Associate Analyst will:
• Conduct background, supply-chain, and legal research on labor-rights violations and environmental abuses in the garment industry, with a primary focus on Asia;
• Rigorously fact-check all deliverables;
• Assist in drafting and editing reports and other documents;
• Assist with the day-to-day administration of the Investigations Team, including note-taking, scheduling meetings, drafting meeting agendas, managing expenses, and assisting in maintaining Transparentem’s website;
• Serve as the Departmental representative in designated inter-departmental initiatives;
• Track statistics from the Investigations Team for monitoring and evaluation purposes; and
• Complete other tasks in support of the Investigative Team.
What We’re Looking For
This is a challenging role that requires complete discretion and extraordinary attention to detail, as well as strong research, writing, editing, and organizational skills. The ideal candidate will have:
• 2-3 years of relevant work experience, including: 1) Desktop research, preferably in a field relevant to Transparentem’s work; 2) Fact-checking, writing, and editing; and 3) Administrative work, including scheduling, expense management, agenda-shaping, and note-taking.
• A disciplined approach to sensitive information and the protection of vulnerable sources;
• The ability to work autonomously and independently manage competing priorities and deadlines;
• A solid grounding in human rights, labor, and/or environmental issues;
• Comfort learning new tech platforms/internal systems quickly;
• Experience working with a diverse team across different time zones;
• A strong sense of mission;
• Unimpeachable integrity;
• BA/BS, preferably in a field relevant to Transparentem’s work;
• Experience retrieving, cleaning, and analyzing large datasets a plus;
• Fluency in English required; proficiency in other languages a plus; and
• US work authorization required.
Transparentem is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and encourage all interested candidates to apply. Please apply to this position directly on our website: https://www.transparentem.com/job-openings/.
Start date: Immediate
Compensation: $55,000 to $65,000 per year, dependent on qualifications.
Location: New York City or Washington, DC (we are currently 100% remote due to COVID-19)