The Business Trends Reporter, specifically focusing on work and wages issues and working under the direction of the Work & Wellness Team Leader and deputy, is a proven, experienced journalist who specializes in writing about employment, hiring, job opportunities and wages in Lancaster County. This nimble reporter goes beyond press releases on reports to look at trends and impact. The Jobs/Working/Wages reporter focuses on the “how and why” for the lay reader – how does stagnation or slow rise in the unemployment rate impact Lancaster County? Why does a potential rise statewide in the minimum wage impact Lancaster County employers and workers – if at all? What are the county’s biggest employers, and what do they pay? This reporter breaks news when necessary but also delivers quick-hit reporting on data releases before moving on to explore and explain the context and impact.
The Working Trends Business Reporter is expected to:
- Exercise solid news judgment, a sense of urgency and the highest journalistic standards.
- Produce daily as well as mid- and longer-range enterprise stories.
- Regularly curate and aggregate content from other sources and present them with relevance and context for our LancasterOnline audience, with additional commentary and explanation.
- Actively build a social media presence by posting content and engaging with our audience. Look for video and social opportunities for story coverage.
- Use Parse.ly and/or other metrics to gauge how well stories perform with our LancasterOnline audience and, with input from editors, decide how to improve poor performers or stop writing about topics that perform poorly altogether.
- Brainstorm and collaborate with other members of the Money & Work Team to break news, launch projects and layer coverage in proven high reader-interest areas.
Reporters are expected to develop authoritative sources in the community, collaborate with other LNP and LancasterOnline journalists and identify stories that are compelling to this community news organization’s audience. Reporters are also expected to meet the demands of a growing digital audience by routinely using social media, shooting photographs and video, and understanding how to post their work using a content-management system.
- Organizes materials, determines focus and writes stories according to prescribed editorial style and format standards, both for the newspaper and online.
- Makes use of all available tools to generate accurate, timely and compelling content and may be required to do so with a digital-first mentality; with attention to both detail and deadlines.
- Builds expertise in a particular beat through research, experience and growing a network of relevant contacts in the community.
- Regularly curates and aggregates content from other sources and presents them to our audience with additional commentary or explanation.
Digital & social media:
- Tracks metrics and conversations on the materials they’ve created to optimize results and shape future work toward that audience.
- Strives to keep our organization at the leading edge of online, mobile and social-network use and innovation.
- Actively builds a social media presence, which includes not just posting content, but also engaging with our audience.
- Thinks visually as well as verbally: Takes photos and shoots/edits video to accompany stories as needed.
- Takes responsibility for his or her own content, in terms of posting it online and subsequently being an aggressive marketer of that content across all relevant platforms.
· Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, mass communications or related field is required, with a proven knowledge and experience working with current media creation tools and contemporary newsroom systems, producing digital and print content, preferred.
· May be required to meet AP writing style, depending on the publication.
· Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
· Must be able to work nights and weekends as necessary.
· Team player who enjoys a fast-paced work environment.
· Wishes to work in a business environment in which every employee seeks to be great every day.