Realtor.com® Is Seeking a Full-Time Data Journalist
The editorial team at realtor.com is looking for a data journalist. We’re seeking an experienced data cruncher who can analyze a variety of data sources and report and write compelling stories about the housing industry. Our weekly reported data features are among the most popular stories on our site, providing guidance and entertainment to our millions of readers.
Our ideal candidate will be skilled working with data and have some reporting and writing experience. Bonus points for candidates who can also visually present data clearly, complementing their written stories with clean and engaging maps, charts, graphs, and/or illustrations.
Realtor.com is operated by News Corp, which also owns The Wall Street Journal,
MarketWatch, and New York Post.
We report on news, trends, and celebrities in the real estate space. Our data stories range from insightful stories on the housing market, clickable pieces on the best places for different kinds of buyers, and in-depth stories exploring more serious topics like President Trump’s real estate holdings and the impact that state marijuana legalizations have had on local real estate prices.
The best candidates will have the chops to analyze real estate data and write up jargon-free stories based on the findings. Applicants MUST be able to perform their own analyses using complex datasets. That means they should be proficient in SQL and have some experience working in a programming language, such as Python or R. They should also be comfortable working in Microsoft Excel.
• Pitch weekly real estate story ideas based on data
• Determine the datasets to use, write code to query databases as needed, and crunch the numbers
• Research, report, and write data stories
• A bachelor’s or master’s degree in journalism or related field (Preference for candidates who have completed a data journalism or data science program.)
• 2+ years of relevant experience, with a focus on data-driven reporting
• Have a collection of data stories previously published
• Hands-on experience with SQL and Python or R
This is a full-time position that could be based in New York City, Santa Clara, CA, Austin, TX, or remotely for the right candidate. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Interested candidates should email their resumes and data story clips to realtor.com’s Deputy News Editor email@example.com.