Insider Inc. is looking for a deputy investigations editor to help lead our investigative team.
We write for Insider, where we’ve broken stories on Jeffrey Epstein’s ties to prominent financiers, the toxic culture at Mike Bloomberg’s company, allegations of assault inside Mark Zuckerberg’s family office, and much more. We also assist, and frequently collaborate with, other reporters and editors in our growing newsroom..
We’re looking for an experienced editor who can bring effective and meticulously reported award-winning stories to life and assist in managing a team of five reporters and three editors. The deputy investigations editor should have an established record of guiding long-term projects, with care and precision, from the seed of an idea to a fully-realized investigative package. They should be fluent in the methods of the trade, including archival research, open-source intelligence, records requests, and old-fashioned reporting.
The ideal candidate will have:
• The ability to render complicated stories and deep-dive investigative pieces into compelling, gripping tales.
• A track record of producing award-winning journalism.
• Strong leadership and organizational skills.
• Experience managing multi-part packages and series and a sharp eye for story presentation.
• An interest in collaborating with our reporters to shore up sourcing, sharpen their reporting skills, and help them dig up the information their stories need.
• A knack for discovering new ways of bolstering our coverage and growing the desk to its full potential.
• An interest in pursuing professional development and establishing connections with the broader investigative journalism community to foster collaboration and increase the visibility of our work among our peers.
• A background as a reporter.
• Experience shepherding stories through legal review and calmly facing down contentious subjects.
• Comfort editing stories on a diverse range of topics.
This is a full-time position based in the New York City area. Insider Inc. offers competitive compensation and full benefits packages.
Insider Inc. is the global digital media organization behind Business Insider, Insider, and an ever-growing family of brands. Insider Inc. tells stories that command attention and inspire action. Insider Inc. equips a curious and action-oriented audience of more than 350 million with the information and inspiration they need to keep the world, and their lives, moving forward. The company started by building the world’s largest digital business news site and has continued to grow and evolve to match the changing passions and interests of its audience. Insider Inc. is home to 50+ content verticals, and we publish 16 global editions in 8 languages.