The Stigler Center for the Study of the Economy and the State at the Chicago Booth School of Business seeks a deputy managing editor to produce its highly regarded, academic yet accessible publication. The publication, called ProMarket, seeks to foster academic discussion on topics of political economy by commissioning, editing and publishing a variety of contributors from economics, law, policy and journalism. In addition to fostering these discussions, ProMarket bridges the gap between traditional academic journals and mainstream news outlets by making research more accessible to policymakers, journalists and students.
This position offers an opportunity to work with a network of highly regarded academic contributors including nobel laureates, government officials and expert researchers, and to be involved in content strategy at a renowned university research center.
ProMarket publishes 3-5 articles per week, produces a weekly newsletter, contributes to the bi-monthly Capitalisn’t podcast and is involved in the creation and participation of Stigler Center conferences and events. The deputy managing editor will have opportunities to be involved in all aspects of the publication, the research center and the university more broadly.
- Commissions and edits are the primary activities for this position. In order to regularly commission new pieces, the deputy managing editor should keep a finger on the pulse of new research and current events within the political economy space. Reaches out to potential contributors and once an expert has agreed to submit a draft, edits should be returned to them in a timely fashion and with the minimum necessary changes to ensure the piece is accurate, understandable, and meets a high threshold of academic and factual rigor.
- Writes several key features for ProMarket such as the weekly newsletter, events coverage and original pieces which often include interviews with scholars or coverage of new research.
- Maintains a regular publishing schedule and develops new ideas for ProMarket’s editorial strategy. This includes conceiving new article series, ebook and print edition production, seeking out new contributors and understanding broader political economy themes and how ProMarket fits into the narrative.
- Contributes to other strategic initiatives of the Stigler Center including marketing and communications, events, teaching, social media and management of the website.
- Works under the direction of the managing editor and keeps in regular contact with the publications’ student editor, communications director, editorial board, and the leadership team of the Stigler Center.
- Edits books, journals, or other written materials with some guidance from others. Establishes editing schedules.
- Collaborates with authors to resolve routine and moderate problems using existing procedures and to clarify meaning. Assists with quality control by proofreading edited manuscripts.
- Performs other related work as needed.
Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 2-5 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
- Experience with both academia and journalism/communications.
- At least two years of practical experience.
- Exposure to academic research in either a classroom or professional setting.
- Proofreading copy and fact-checking under deadline.
- Portfolio demonstrating strong writing, editing and synthesizing skills.
- Experience with high-level interviews, such as top academics and policymakers.
- Fluency in English writing.
- Work effectively and collaborate in a team environment.
This position is currently expected to work a minimum three days per week in the office.