THE CITY, an award-winning, independent nonprofit newsroom dedicated to serving the people of New York through hard-hitting reporting, is seeking an experienced, innovative and visionary Editor in Chief to help lead the nationally recognized local news site to new heights.
Launched in April 2019 with a diverse team of award-winning journalists, THE CITY stories have already demonstrated impact, whether it’s shining a light on social justice issues, coverage of the effect of the pandemic or holding government officials to account. Reliable, independent, comprehensive, and factual reporting on New York and its future has never been more important. THE CITY will be at the forefront of New York’s recovery and transformation, leading through journalism.
The Editor in Chief (“EIC”) will work closely with THE CITY’s Executive Director to ensure alignment with the goals of the newsroom. The Editor in Chief will direct a wide-ranging editorial staff while attracting, developing and retaining an array of diverse journalistic talent. Working collaboratively across the newsroom, the EIC will exhibit an ability and willingness to deal with all levels of the editorial process, from story generation to hands-on editing. With a budget of $4.1 million that is expected to grow significantly, the EIC will be responsible for shaping ongoing, ambitious lines of reporting and developing new ones – all in the service of driving conversation, coverage and, above all, action.
The EIC must be someone who is a fervent advocate for New York City as well as understands the role that journalism plays in democracy and how knowledge can effect change. They must be able to respond quickly to changing conditions and have a strong commitment to diversity.
Leading by example, the EIC will work with the staff, Board, and Executive Editor in a supportive and direct manner, with a minimum of ego. They must have the ability to promote an open, inclusive work environment that emphasizes cooperation, and teamwork. In addition, they should have high emotional intelligence, flexibility, sound judgment and a good sense of humor.
• Elevate an editorial strategy that combines accountability/investigative and data reporting, community/social engagement, user friendly interactives, engaging visuals, newsletters and explanatory reporting to produce accessible, people-focused, high-impact journalism
• Work with the Executive Director to build a strategy for growth and make key budget, product, and and other decisions.
• Forge key journalism partnerships that expand THE CITY’s editorial reach, while enhancing the site’s position as a key collaborative player in the local news ecosystem and as a national model for collaborative, nonprofit local news.
• Be a key public face of THE CITY — interacting with constituencies that include board members, donors, prospective donors, journalism peers and above all, the people of the city it serves
· Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline; advanced degree preferred
· Seven-plus years of high-level newsroom leadership experience
· Track record of journalism excellence
· Excellent writing, analytical and organizational skills with a proven ability to set, prioritize and achieve ambitious goals
· Excellent management and communications skills with the ability to build relationships, networks, and demonstrate leadership across all levels.
· Commitment to and passion for the mission of THE CITY
Salary will be commensurate with experience. For more information about THE CITY, please visit their website at www.thecity.nyc
THE CITY is committed to diversity and especially encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply. It offers equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.
THE CITY has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications (cover letter that articulates mission and interest, and resume) may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Managing Partner and CEO
Harris Rand Lusk
260 Madison Avenue, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10016
Send resume and cover letter to:
Please put “THE CITY Editor in Chief” in the subject line of your emailed application.