LNP Media Group, Inc. family of print and digital publications, part of Steinman Communications, is the biggest and most influential provider of news in Lancaster County, with a history of 225 years of excellence. The education reporter, working under the direction of the Work & Wellness team leader, is a proven, experienced journalist who specializes in reporting and writing about public and private K-12 schools, as well as local institutions of higher learning. This reporter will break news when appropriate, as well as cover long-term investigative and trend stories. The Education Reporter will work as a team with the rest of the Work & Wellness staff to brainstorm story ideas surrounding what issues matter most to our readers, whether it be COVID mandate implications, new school construction, public debate over Title IX or busing issues. The education reporter will also collaborate with LNP’s network of correspondents covering school board meetings. This reporter is nimble in assessing and conveying the “how and why” of education for parents, teachers, administrators, students and taxpayers in Lancaster County.
The Education Reporter is expected to:
- Exercise solid news judgment, a sense of urgency and the highest journalistic standards.
- Produce daily stories/posts as well as mid- and longer-range enterprise stories.
- Tell stories in alternative story formats, such as listicles, Q-and-As, video, takeaways and more. What’s the best way to tell the story?
- Aggregate content of statewide or national interest – or that’s trending -- from other sources and present them with relevance and context for our LancasterOnline audience, with additional commentary and explanation.
- Actively build a social media presence by posting content and engaging with our audience. Look for video and social opportunities for story coverage.
- Use Parsely and/or other metrics to gauge how well stories perform with our LancasterOnline audience and, with input from editors, decide how to improve poor performers or stop writing about topics that perform poorly altogether.
- Work with the Watchdog team to cover elections for school board races.
Reporters for LNP Media Group exercise strong news judgment and news-gathering capabilities to provide up-to-the-minute information across the company’s digital platforms and insightful, contextual and analytical journalism for LNP | LancasterOnline. Reporters are expected to develop authoritative sources in the community, collaborate with other LNP and LancasterOnline journalists and identify stories that are compelling to this community news organization’s audience. Reporters are also expected to meet the demands of a growing digital audience by routinely using social media, shooting photographs and video, and understanding how to post their work using a content-management system.
· Organizes materials, determines focus and writes stories according to prescribed editorial style and format standards, both for the newspaper and online.
· Makes use of all available tools to generate accurate, timely and compelling content with a digital-first mentality, with attention to both detail and deadlines.
· Builds expertise in a particular beat through research, experience and growing a network of relevant contacts in the community.
· Regularly curates and aggregates content from other sources and presents them to our audience with additional commentary or explanation.
Digital & social media
- Tracks metrics and conversations on the materials they’ve created to optimize results and shape future work toward that audience.
- Strives to keep our organization at the leading edge of online, mobile and social-network use and innovation.
- Actively builds a social media presence, which includes not just posting content, but also engaging with our audience.
- Thinks visually as well as verbally: Takes photos and shoots/edits video to accompany stories as needed.
- Takes responsibility for his or her own content, in terms of posting it online and subsequently being an aggressive marketer of that content across all relevant platforms.
· Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, mass communications or related field is required, with a proven knowledge and experience working with current media creation tools and contemporary newsroom systems, producing digital and print content, preferred.
· Must meet AP writing style, depending on the publication.
· Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
· Must be able to work nights and weekends as necessary, as well as some holidays.
· Team player who enjoys a fast-paced work environment.
· Wishes to work in a business environment in which every employee seeks to be great every day.