Upstream seeks a standout digital journalist to join our Houston team as an Energy News Correspondent for our specialist oil, gas and energy transition news organization.
Upstream is a subscription-based global publication focused on independent journalism, exclusive insight and breaking news.
Upstream has undergone a transformation this year that mirrors what is happening with many of the energy companies we cover. We provide exclusive insight into global oil and gas companies’ exploration and production, but we have also expanded and improved our coverage of the sector’s low-carbon energy projects – from decarbonization of oil and gas operations to new hydrogen, carbon capture and offshore wind projects. Likewise, Upstream has expanded its digital news offering with a new Alerts feature for personalized news feeds, additional specialized newsletters, and digital events hosting high-level energy executives from around the world.
The right candidate for Energy News Correspondent in our Houston bureau will:
· Ensure Upstream Online is a must-read website by breaking news daily about topics including key exploration and production activity, the energy transition, technological innovation, politics, regulatory affairs and finance.
· Break high-value energy news quickly and accurately for multiple online and print platforms.
· Deliver exclusives, big-picture analytical coverage, features and commentary about the energy sector in the Americas region.
· Cover oil and gas companies’ work in renewable energy, carbon capture and storage, hydrogen and other low-carbon energy projects for Upstream and for our Accelerate energy transition newsletter, which Upstream produces with our renewables sister publication Recharge.
· Work with editors in our London news hub and the team in our Oslo, Norway, headquarters on digital-transformation initiatives.
· Post Upstream and Accelerate articles and related material on social media. Candidate should be comfortable engaging and connecting with readers on social media and helping to maximize the content being created.
· Represent Upstream and Accelerate at events and seminars, online or in person, and provide coverage for special editions and major industry conferences.
The successful candidate for this reporting role will have the experience and skills to further enhance our Americas coverage and improve our digital and print impact.
· Strong online news-reporting, feature-writing and people skills are essential.
· The candidate will have broad experience in digital journalism and a clear vision for how to grow our website’s paid digital readership, supported by our weekly newspaper.
· Deep understanding and experience covering North American energy sector, with knowledge of the upstream oil and gas business and the energy transition, are strongly preferred.
· Data journalism skills also are preferred.
· Hold a bachelor's degree at minimum.
· Spanish language skills are a plus.
· Some travel will be required.
All Upstream editorial staff are required to conduct themselves with integrity, objectivity, dedication and professionalism becoming of a journalist working for a leading international industry publication.