Want to work with at a Pulitzer Prize-winning newsroom?
The Sarasota Herald-Tribune, part of Gannett and the USA TODAY NETWORK, has an immediate opening for a full-time Reporter to cover general news assignments in the surrounding community area.
Located just south of Tampa Bay, Sarasota offers some of the best weather in the country with temps hovering around the low 80s and the sun shining nearly every day, to enjoy the sugary sand beaches dotting our Gulf of Mexico coastline including world-famous Siesta Beach(highlighted in the popular MTV reality show “Siesta Key”). The area also boasts an eclectic mix of nationally acclaimed restaurants, bars and breweries and one of the most vibrant and venerable arts scenes in the South with such institutions as The Ringling Museum of Art.
We expect a mix of daily news stories, weekend pieces longer-term enterprise. We also encourage this reporter to experiment with new ways to present information using new technologies and on new platforms.
· Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
· Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
· Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
· Produce a mix of daily, enterprise and in-depth articles.
· Incorporate contemporary digital journalism tools in day-to-day reporting, including basic digital photo and video, social media and other web-based journalism tools.
· Learn and integrate new skills as they become relevant to our mission, in a cross-functional and highly collaborative newsroom.
· Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
· Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
· Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, business, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· At least two years in journalism.
· Proficiency navigating business filings, court documents and public records.
· Experience with data journalism techniques is a plus.
· Proficiency on social media platforms
· Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
· Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
· Ability to multitask and excel under deadline pressure.
· Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
· Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
· Fluency in Spanish is an advantage.
· This beat will sometimes include some evening or weekend work hours.
· This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
· Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check & urinalysis drug screen (for driving roles only).
Interested and qualified candidates, please apply here and upload your materials (resume, brief cover letter, work samples link/portfolio, etc.) combined into one single document. **It's important that these items be combined into a single document attachment/upload (preferably in PDF format). The application only allows one document. Following these steps will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.