The Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) is a 501(c)(3) independent, international, non-profit advocacy organization based in Washington, D.C., with a proven record of enacting historic and systematic changes to protect the Earth’s environment.
Over the last three decades, EIA has pioneered a combination of undercover investigative techniques and campaigning to fight illegal trade in endangered wildlife, illegal logging, emissions of greenhouse gases, and to support environmental defenders risking their lives around the world.
EIA is seeking a Head of Communications to join one of the most dynamic investigative campaigning teams in the world, which consistently produces headline grabbing national and international stories, and help us attain an even higher level of innovation and impact.
EIA is seeking an experienced, adaptable and passionate Head of Communications to lead its communications efforts, working in close coordination with and across EIA’s campaign teams to achieve its ambitious goals of causing systemic global change. The successful candidate will relish a collaborative team atmosphere and the chance to apply their full range of experience in the communications field to achieve global solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges. The position will report to the Executive Director and be responsible for crafting and implementing the communications strategy for an environmental group that produces many of the most consistently unique and newsworthy environmental stories in the world.
EIA’s dynamic, fast-paced, team approach is not for everyone. Please only apply if your single strongest professional motivation is to apply your skills to making the world a better place.
Main Activities and Responsibilities
• Oversee and guide the strategy for all communications to effectively message and promote EIA campaign goals.
• Respond to and work with campaigners to develop strategic communications and impactful messaging.
• Oversee social media messaging across all platforms.
• Compose and/or edit communications to include reports, press releases, impact reports, funder quarterlies and letters, video scripts, and occasionally grant proposals.
• Secure positive placement for EIA reports in all tier media.
• Maintain and cultivate relationships with press and reporters.
• Work with partner organizations to help develop and amplify social media messaging on joint campaign efforts.
• Work with communications vendors.
• Provide quality and timely communications deliverables in a consistent and impactful manner.
• Maintain, update and grow press and partner contacts.
• Maintain, update, and augment press impact lists.
• Provide media training and mentorship to EIA staff.
• Ownership of website developments and updates and serve as point of contact for outside vendors, campaigners, and internal digital staff to coordinate updates.
Essential Expertise and Qualifications
• A desire to use your skills to change the world with a strong interest in climate, environmental and natural resource governance issues
• Minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience in media relations or journalism
• A journalist's curiosity, knack for capturing the story, and keen understanding of what constitutes a good news story
• Excellent writing, editing, proofreading, and oral communication skills to translate complex ideas into appealing prose and effective messaging
• Established contacts with mainstream media and national and international press
• Experience working with Social Media tools (Buffer, Hootsuite, Twitter, Facebook etc.), Mass Email tools (such as Salsa Labs) and creative software in the adobe suite
• BA required and Masters Degree preferred
• Experience in a fast paced press operation where creative communications strategies are an integral part of multi-faceted campaigns
• Indefatigable pitching zeal and excellent presentation skills
• Experience organizing press conferences, calls, webinars and major events
• Ability to balance strategic thinking with tactical execution with extraordinary attention to detail
• Excellent interpersonal skills, in particular a collaborative and cooperative approach to work, as well as an ability to network and to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people, across a variety of settings and interests
Other Desirable Qualifications
• Knowledge of environmental issues and U.S. politics and advocacy preferred
• Previous supervisory experience
• Experience in leading integrated communications for advocacy and campaigns at the national or international level spanning digital, social and traditional communications channels
• Additional language skills a plus (Spanish, French, Portuguese, Chinese Mandarin or other)
• Exposure to video editing and production
• Experience working, living or traveling internationally
• Website management
Commitment to Inclusion, Racial Justice and Anti-oppression
EIA strives to integrate values of equity, fairness, inclusiveness, transparency, and accountability into our work, which includes reflecting our commitment to racial justice in our programmatic work and our organizational structure and values. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create an inclusive work environment and world.
EIA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity. All employment at EIA is decided on the basis of merit, qualifications and business needs.
Competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Head of Communications”. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will remain open until filled. Due to the large volume of applicants, we are not able to answer emails or phone calls. Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.
Applicants must be currently legally authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis, and be able to provide proof of the same.