CBS News and Stations, brings together the power of CBS News, 28 owned television stations in 17 major U.S. markets, CBSN, CBSN Local platforms, local websites and cbsnews.com, under one umbrella. CBS News and Stations is home to the nation’s #1 news program 60 MINUTES, CBSN, the first 24/7 digital streaming news network, the award-winning broadcasts CBS MORNINGS, CBS SATURDAY MORNING, the CBS EVENING NEWS WITH NORAH O’DONNELL, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, CBS WEEKEND NEWS, 48 HOURS and FACE THE NATION WITH MARGARET BRENNAN. CBS News and Stations also produces the award-winning 60 MINUTES+ for Paramount+. CBS News and Stations provides news and information for the CBS Television Network, CBSNews.com, CBSN, CBS News Radio and podcasts, CBS Mobile, Paramount + and other digital platforms. CBS News and Stations is dedicated to providing the highest quality journalism under standards it pioneered and continues to set in today’s digital age. CBS News earns more prestigious journalism awards than any other broadcast network.
If you’re an expert data journalist who thrives on finding stories that would otherwise be unseen or ignored, we want your help creating data-driven stories in one of the best investigative units in the country. CBS 2 Chicago is seeking an Investigative Data Journalist to generate content and support the station’s effort to produce award-winning journalism. The Data Journalist’s primary focus will be obtaining and analyzing data sets to identify and generate original stories of relevance and impact in our community. Also, to work with reporters and the investigative unit to produce unique and compelling data-visualizations and storytelling for all of our platforms.
- Ideate, research and create data-driven stories with consistent frequency and impact for the newscasts, specials, streams, websites and apps of CBS Chicago.
- Obtain, analyze and visualize data sets for on-air and online reporting, including summarizing findings, writing narratives, and creating graphic elements and interactives.
- Perform exhaustive, accurate and efficient computer-assisted analysis using current software, techniques and statistical tools.
- Understand, interpret and simplify complicated information, and collaborate with journalists to produce impactful reporting and storytelling.
- Collaborate with and support the work of reporters, producers, graphic designers and website developers to bring stories to publication.
- Maximize skills and experience to advise others and lead editorially on data projects as well as oversee the data work of colleagues as needed.
- Efficiently maximize newsgathering and investigative tactics to obtain information and story elements, such as developing relationships, cultivating sources, strategically landing interviews, and navigating open records laws.
- Solicit and vet tips and story ideas to identify and prioritize original, timely and topical investigative stories with broad value to the audience.
- Urgently develop and execute investigative angles to elevate breaking news coverage.
- Work closely with management, journalists and legal counsel in creating accurate, well-documented, bulletproof stories.
- Communicate frequently and effectively with respect and candor, and maintain highly collaborative, productive working environments and relationships with management and news personnel. Represent company professionally at all times in public interactions.
- Must be willing to work an unpredictable and flexible schedule as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Portfolio required demonstrating visualization and integration of data, combined with compelling, creative writing and design, which results in high-impact, high-caliber storytelling. Experience producing multiplatform content preferred.
- Advanced skills required in Excel, Access, SQL and GIS or other mapping software. Additional knowledge in systems such as Python and R preferred.
- Advanced CMS skills required, plus expertise with systems such as Tableau, Infogram and Flourish to create interactives. Basic scripting and HTML knowledge preferred.
- Excellent reading, writing, spelling, grammar and organizational skills required.
- 5+ years’ experience as a data journalist and journalism degree preferred.