Are you an investigative journalist, a creative and a strategizer who excels at digging for stories and brainstorming how to tell them? Do you have a record of shepherding successful stories from idea to reality? We want your help producing investigations that will be highlighted in major markets across the nation! CBS Television Stations is seeking an Investigative Multiskilled Producer to generate content for and collaborate with newsrooms across the group. The Producer’s primary focus will be identifying and generating original stories of national importance that can be localized for multiple markets, with compelling storytelling and innovative, multiplatform delivery. The Producer will be involved in a specialized investigative unit inside the CTS Innovation Lab, which experiments with next-generation storytelling, and tests new products, workflows and production models for the future. The investigative unit will collaborate with the group’s news, investigative and special projects teams, while also collaborating across CBS News and Stations’ platforms.
- Ideate, research and create investigative stories with consistent frequency and impact for the newscasts, specials, streams, websites and apps of CBS News and Stations.
- Collaborate with and support the work of reporters, photographers, graphic designers and website developers to generate pieces. Assist and produce content for reporters and anchors who present the story. Assist with video editing and graphic design for stories.
- Efficiently increase newsgathering and investigative tactics to acquire information and story elements, such as developing relationships, cultivating sources, strategically landing interviews, and navigating open records laws.
- Localize stories through personalization and examples in multiple cities or regions.
- Vet tips and story ideas to identify and prioritize original, timely and topical investigative pieces with broad value to the audience.
- Urgently develop and execute investigative angles to elevate breaking news coverage.
- Maximize skills and experience to advise others and lead editorially on projects as well as oversee the work of colleagues as needed.
- Acquire, analyze and visualize data sets for on-air and online reporting, including summarizing findings, writing narratives, and creating graphic elements and interactives.
- Understand, interpret and simplify complicated information, and then communicate the points and themes to stakeholders in a clear, concise way.
- Work closely with management, journalists and legal counsel in creating accurate, well-documented, bulletproof stories.
- Communicate frequently and effectively with respect and candor, and maintain highly collaborative, productive working environments and relationships with management and news personnel. Represent company professionally at all times in public interactions.
- Must be willing to work an unpredictable and adaptable schedule as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- 10+ years’ experience as an investigative producer or similar role in a medium to large market.
- Portfolio of investigative content that led to accountability, change and broad recognition, as well as audience growth and brand definition.
- Excellent reading, writing, spelling, grammar and organizational skills required.
- Video editing skills preferred.
- Journalism degree preferred.