Bonneville International has been a leader in broadcasting for over 50 years, with a mission to build up, connect, inform and celebrate communities and families across our markets. We currently own and operate 22 radio stations in Seattle, Phoenix, Denver, Sacramento, San Francisco and Salt Lake City, along with the NBC Affiliate TV station, KSL TV 5, in Salt Lake. We're proud of our history, and we want talented people to join us as we continue to grow!
KSL TV is looking for a dynamic investigative reporter who is passionate about questioning those in power, holding government accountable, exposing corruption and providing viewers with the information they need to be informed citizens. As a member of an award-winning team of KSL Investigators, you will be responsible for conceptualizing, researching and writing high-impact investigative stories that showcase exceptional storytelling, with a commitment to follow-ups. Primary focus is on regularly produced content outside of the daily assignment rotation, while contributing original angles with investigative sensibilities to breaking news and major news events. Successful candidates will set an example of professionalism in skill, attitude and commitment.
• Mine tips, sources, data and public records requests to pinpoint issues of significant local impact with a focus on solutions.
• Produce highly visual and compelling investigative stories from complex material for broadcast, digital and print media.
• Ensure stories are accurate, complete and fair.
• Conduct interviews, gather information, log and organize footage, arrange for graphics and supervise editing sessions.
• Meet all story deadlines.
• Build key sources in the community.
• Build a strong social media following and investigative brand in line with the overall station brand.
• Work effectively in a team environment with various managers, photographers, editors and producers.
• Balance long-term investigations with data-driven, original investigative angles on breaking news and major events.
• Regularly enterprise and pitch investigative story ideas while also passionately pursuing stories as assigned.
• Innovate investigative content specifically suited for a variety of broadcast, web and social media platforms.
• Appear in strategic marketing efforts with partner media – such as radio and online social media – to cross-promote major investigations and stories.
• Maintain highly organized files of government records requests, appeals and data.
• Demonstrate a knowledge of and strong commitment to editorial judgment, including a clear understanding of journalism ethics and laws, as well as a journalist’s right to records, information and access.
• Provide investigative research expertise and support to other team members as needed.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
College degree in journalism, communications, related field or equivalent.
Minimum of 3 years journalism experience – investigative reporting and/or producing a must.
Must be an aggressive and focused reporter with strong investigative skills and a strategic mindset.
Track record of cultivating key sources and enterprising original stories.
Self-motivated and capable of prioritizing tasks and juggling multiple investigative stories simultaneously while meeting short-term and long-term deadlines.
Strong on-camera presentation skills with the ability to ad-lib without the aid of scripts or teleprompter.
Knowledge of computer-assisted reporting, public records requests and public records law.
Excellent research and organizational skills.
Ability to interpret complex data.
Ability to write in a clear and conversational manner.
Proven ability to handle stress.
Valid driver license and proven ability to safely drive company or personal vehicle (as case may be) without exposing the company to serious liability risks
Receive, process, and maintain information through oral and/or written communication effectively.
Substantial physical movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
Ability to extend hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction with good eye and hand coordination.
Lift, move, and carry up to 20 pounds on occasion.
Must be able to sit for long periods of time
Bonneville is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Minority/female/disability PWDNET/veteran are encouraged to apply.