KSHB, the Scripps NBC station in Kansas City is searching for an experienced and aggressive Investigative Reporter to join our team. The dynamic reporter hired will work/join with our award-winning I-Team unit that includes an Investigative Producer and Photographers.
KSHB is looking for someone with insatiable curiosity who is able to cultivate sources and has a strong grasp of media law. We seek someone who has demonstrated experience of holding the powerful accountable, digging deep into government issues and exposing the waste of tax payer money. They should also have experience and understanding of consumer issues.
The successful candidate should provide examples of strong enterprise stories that came from cultivating well-placed sources and digging deep for the truth.
The Kansas City DMA is a fast-paced news market covering Missouri and Kansas.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Collect and analyze complex information of newsworthy investigative events relying on critical relationships with local news makers.
- Develop, create and research news leads and news tips to develop story ideas.
- Use computer database to research statistics and facts
- Gather and verify factual information regarding stories through interviews, observation, and research.
- Organize material, determine slant or emphasis, and write stories according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
- Shoot videos and still photos to illustrate stories.
- Edit, or assist in editing, videos for all multimedia platforms.
- Appear on television when conducting taped interviews or narration.
- Provide live reports from site of event or mobile broadcast unit.
- Work cooperatively with Photographer assigned to story if one is assigned.
- Assist News Producers in preparing newscast.
- Assist online team in preparing for multimedia stories.
- Report, write, capture quality visual content, edit and produce stories for multiple platforms by deadline, such as internet and digital channels.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism or related degree or equivalent years of experience.
- Minimum 4 years experience in related field.
- Previous investigative reporting required.
- Valid driver's license and good driving record.
- Proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING:
- Computer literacy, including newsroom computer systems.
- Videography and non-linear editing experience preferred.
- Knowledge of broadcast quality camera equipment.
- Edit video on Final Cut Pro editing systems, or similar equipment.
- Strong broadcast and AP style writing skills.
- Proficient at posting content to various websites.
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.