InvestigateWest is looking for an investigative reporter who lives to expose wrongdoing, corruption, exploitation, the holes in society’s safety nets and the powerful people responsible for fixing them. Founded in 2009 as a nonprofit, InvestigateWest measures success a little differently; we pursue in-depth reporting on critical issues in hopes of producing real-life change and, bit by bit, making the world a better place.
This job is full-time and includes benefits. While InvestigateWest is headquartered in Seattle, we are open to reporters working remotely anywhere in the state of Washington.
We’re looking for someone who:
• Has a track record of producing impactful in-depth or investigative stories.
• Aspires to great storytelling and studies the giants of the craft.
• Gets reluctant sources to talk candidly and has a deft touch with people who have experienced trauma.
• Hungrily pursues the truth, digging through records, databases and people’s differing accounts.
• Can work both independently and collaboratively.
• Brings a little extra to the table (like data analysis, photography, video, crowdsourced reporting or community engagement skills).
• Has a long list of project ideas and can juggle quick, mid-range and long-term investigations.
We are dedicated to making our organization better reflect the region we cover and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment for people of different ages and backgrounds. We encourage members of historically underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
Compensation: The salary range is $40,000-$60,000, depending on experience. Also, a monthly work-from-home stipend of $100, and 100% coverage of health insurance. Start date: January 2022.
Send us a cover letter, resume and five work samples using the form linked below; Deadline: Dec. 3. Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.