KLAS TV, the CBS affiliate in Las Vegas is hiring an experienced Investigative Reporter to join their investigative unit. “The Channel 8 I-team,” is a nationally recognized, award-winning team of journalists with a proven track record for producing in-depth, high-quality, innovative projects on-air and digital only. Through tip-driven and enterprise investigations, KLAS has helped change laws, recovered millions of dollars for viewers, revealed major safety issues and exposed corruption among elected leaders.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop ideas for realistic, executable, timely and important investigations. Collect and analyze facts about newsworthy events by interview, investigation, or observation.
- Daily contributions to digital first/digital only content along with consistent daily social media engagement.
- Produce accurate, complete and compelling news copy on deadline.
- Must be collaborative and willing to work with the entire team. Works with Producers, Photographers, and Editors to produce investigative stories both for broadcast and digital platforms.
- Superior on-air presence.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Uses public records, the internet, and computer databases to research and analyze facts, statistics, and trends.
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
- Flexibility to work any shift, holidays and weekends.
Requirements & Skills:
- Candidates must have a resume and online link showing investigative work.
- Candidates should know the basics of data analysis, public information requests and backgrounding. They must have a track record of enterprising story ideas and developing key sources.
- Possesses exceptional research skills. Candidates must have a minimum of five years reporting experience, including at least two years of investigative reporting.
- Fluency in English
- Strong broadcast writing skills and command of language skills.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field preferred.
- Professional appearance and behavior. This is not an entry-level position.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Investigative Reporter must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Investigative Reporter must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required.
EEO Statement: Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities / Women / Veterans / Disabled