Professor of Practice in Sports Strategic Communication
The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University is seeking an experienced professional to teach within its award-winning PR Lab and Digital Audiences Lab, focusing on strategic communication campaigns for sports clients. Holding the rank of professor of practice, the successful candidate will perform a unique role that includes teaching in two of the school’s immersive agency environments: In the Digital Audiences Lab, the instructor will lead students in sports campaign work across paid/organic social media, SEO and paid search advertising, analytics and other digital marketing concepts; in the PR Lab, the instructor will lead students in public relations and integrated communications work for sports clients. This is a full-time, benefits-eligible, 12-month appointment on ASU’s Downtown Phoenix Campus; this is not a tenure-track appointment.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Lead, teach and mentor upper-level undergraduate and graduate students in two highly energized agency environments, Monday through Friday
• Develop and strengthen relationships between sports clients and the Cronkite School’s strategic communications agencies
• Set data-driven client goals that meet their strategic communications needs
• Provide hands-on coaching for students through the full campaign process (e.g., research and data analysis through execution and measurement)
• Provide hands-on training for agency technologies and techniques (e.g., setting up
Google Ads campaigns, crafting and making media pitches)
• Lead client reporting (e.g. campaign, budget and analytics reporting) and meetings (e.g.
weekly check-ins, final presentations).
• Edit, critique and nurture student work to ensure it meets professional standards and client goals.
• Support students’ employment pursuits by fostering networking connections, job/internship opportunities and professional development.
• Manage PR Lab and DA Lab budget, together with other Lab directors.
• Work collaboratively with other professional program directors and partners to plan, manage and produce innovative and professional campaigns across platforms.
• Foster a culture of innovation by harnessing fresh ideas and experimenting with new tools, technologies and techniques that enhance digital storytelling and audience connection
• Perform other faculty responsibilities, such as committee assignments and assisting in student recruitment, as assigned.
• This position does not include teaching traditional classes. Leading students in the PR Lab and DA Lab is the full-time teaching assignment.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Professional experience working in marketing, integrated communications, digital strategy, social media, audience growth or a related field for sports clients or organizations
• A bachelor’s degree
• Demonstrated experience launching and leading successful integrated communications campaigns, including crisis communications, event planning, media relations, community outreach, multimedia content and storytelling, social media content, website design, and/or influencer campaigns
• Demonstrated experience launching and leading digital marketing campaigns, including paid social, search, paid media, display and/or audio campaigns
• Demonstrated knowledge of sports communications strategy, integrated strategic communications, paid and organic social media, SEO, digital advertising and/or strategic content creation
• Fluency in media measurement (e.g., Cision) and monitoring (e.g., Muck Rack) technologies
• Fluency in Google Analytics, Google Ads and social media ad platforms
• Knowledge of AP style
• Experience supervising a team
• Experience working with undergraduate and/or graduate students in a university or agency setting
• Strong knowledge of local, regional and national sports teams, issues, stakeholders and opportunities
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in both professional practices and as a contributor to an inclusive working and learning environment
• Bilingual (English/Spanish)
• Master’s degree
About the Cronkite School
The Cronkite School is widely recognized as one of the nation’s premier journalism programs. Rooted in the time-honored values that characterize its namesake—accuracy, responsibility, objectivity, integrity—the school fosters journalistic excellence and ethics among students as they master the professional skills they need to succeed in the digital media world of today and tomorrow.
Located on ASU’s Downtown Phoenix campus in the heart of the nation’s fifth-largest city, the School has 70 full-time faculty members, more than 100 full-time professional staff and annual resources of more than $40 million.The Cronkite faculty is made up of award-winning professional journalists, strategic communications specialists and world-class media scholars. Cronkite professors include five Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists, digital media thought leaders, top TV producers and correspondents, major metropolitan newspaper editors and strategic communications experts.
Nearly 2,500 undergraduate, master’s and doctoral students are enrolled at Cronkite, preparing for careers in journalism, strategic media and related communications fields. Of the undergraduate residential student population, more than 60 percent come from out-of-state and more than 37 percent are students of color. The retention rate consistently exceeds 90 percent, and Cronkite students regularly lead the country in national journalism competitions.
The school champions a “teaching hospital” model of journalism education, for which it has received international acclaim. Cronkite offers 13 different full-immersion professional programs in which students work in intensive, real-world settings under the guidance of top-flight professionals and in collaboration with research faculty. The programs enable students to put into practice what they have learned in the classroom, producing news, information and community engagement on critical issues for the state, region and nation.
About the Digital Audiences Lab and the Public Relations Lab
The heart of the Cronkite School’s teaching hospital model is its professional programs -- 13 immersive work immersions where students get hands-on experience in mass communication under the leadership of professional faculty. The Digital Audiences Lab is a digital marketing agency that grows, engages and measures audiences for its clients through SEO, search marketing, paid social media campaigns, paid media campaigns, analytics reporting and strategy development. The Public Relations Lab is a full-service PR agency that helps its clients meet their strategic communications goals through corporate and crisis communications, event planning, media relations, community outreach, multimedia content and storytelling, research and more.
About Arizona State University
ASU is one of the largest and most innovative public research universities in the country, undertaking a bold reinvention of higher education as a New American University. With four campuses in the Phoenix metropolitan area, it serves more than 127,000 students on campus and online. For the past six years, it has been ranked No. 1 for innovation by U.S. News & World Report.
In the last decade, ASU has developed numerous new programs and units that bridge disciplinary boundaries to enable the exploration and discovery of new knowledge, while developing practical solutions to serve Arizona and the world at large. The university has strong and simultaneous commitments to educational access, excellence, and impact, and assumes significant responsibility for the cultural, social and economic vitality of its surrounding communities.
Submission materials must include:
1) A cover letter stating qualifications
2) Curriculum vitae or resume
3) Contact information (name, address, email, telephone number) for three professional references
4) A diversity statement that addresses their experience and commitment to social justice, diversity, equity and inclusion over the course of their careers and outlines how they would advance DEI goals at the Cronkite School. The statement should be no longer than 500 words
The applicant’s name should appear in each uploaded file name. Cover letters may be addressed to the Search Committee Chair, Jessica Pucci. Questions about the position should be directed to the search committee chair at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline is January 7, 2022. Applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis for a reserve pool. Applications in the reserve pool may then be reviewed in the order in which they were received until the position is filled. Applicants must apply online at: https://apptrkr.com/2690318
A background search is required for employment.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. More information can be found att https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html and https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/.
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-9653456.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
A background check is required for employment. Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
(See https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html and https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/.)
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements - Under the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations, ASU expects all employees, including new hires, to be vaccinated unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. Proof of vaccination will be required by January 4, 2022. For questions about medical or religious accommodations, please visit the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion’s webpage.