Stacker is hiring for a full-time Senior Data Editor to lead our growing national data reporting team. We are looking for a newsroom leader who can step in to shape our coverage by editing and providing feedback on the data analysis that forms the basis of our stories, expanding our work into new formats and data sources, and providing mentorship to our team of data reporters.
Who we are
Stacker is on a mission to make the world's data more accessible through storytelling.
Our newsroom focuses on creating and distributing engaging, research-based journalism to thousands of news outlets across the country. Today, Stacker stories are consumed by over 5 million readers each month, both on Stacker.com and our partner network of world-class news outlets including Newsweek, MSN, Hearst, Tribune Publishing, and Lee Enterprises.
Stacker produces stories for our site, syndication partners, and for Stacker Studio, our growing content agency. This diversified model powers deeply-researched journalism for a massive audience in a financially-sustainable manner—allowing us to bootstrap and control the future of our business.
What this role entails
You’ll be running our national data desk which produces 50+ stories each month for our syndication and Studio partners. You’ll be managing a team of data reporters responsible for brainstorming story topics, analyzing data, and constructing journalistically sound story approaches, and producing the baseline assets for each story (i.e. core analysis, ranking, data viz)
Our newsroom is set up a little differently than most, with the data team responsible for producing the initial analysis and story framework which is then passed off to our editorial team to bring to life with storytelling and photos. For example, for a story on the fastest-growing real estate markets, the research team would analyze Zillow data and produce the ranked list of cities, and the editorial team would write about each city and add imagery.
As the senior editor of the national data team, you’ll be focused on:
- Managing the production of 50+ data features each month
- Reviewing and editing the approach for each story; providing constructive criticism to sharpen our storytelling angles
- Elevating our storytelling scope with new formats and research angles (expansion into automated local series, data viz, investigative features)
- Sourcing new datasets to power compelling stories; reaching out to prospective data partners to build out a library of available sources
- Working closely with our editorial team to ensure operational excellence—that our research output smoothly translates into authoritative final stories
What we look for in a candidate:
- 7+ years of experience in data storytelling in a newsroom or equivalent
- 2 years of management experience involving recruiting and developing a research team
- Strong news judgment built on a broad knowledge base and the ability to research and analyze data across a range of sources and topics
- Advanced data analysis skills, spanning tools like advanced Excel/Google Sheets (vlookup, index/match, nested IF statements, Pivot tables), Python/pandas/Jupyter notebook, R, or MySQL
- A track record of innovation and bias to action: you step into roles and improve processes or implement new ideas effectively
From Day 1 at Stacker, you will be able to own your career growth and create impactful stories that reach millions of readers.
Stacker’s remote team of 25 full-time employees puts an emphasis on autonomy and bias-to-action within a role paired with a skills development and cross-team collaboration to empower each member of Stacker to carve out a career that aligns their talents and passions with our business needs.
We work to foster a culture of personal and career development, effective remote work systems, and team bonding through team standards:
- All-company in-person Summits 2x/year to bond and align on strategy and monthly team Expos to share wins/tactics
- Monthly virtual social events (cooking classes, games, happy hours) and new hire lunches
- Weekly manager 1-1s focused on resolving blockers/frustrations to success and personal development
- StackerU continuous learning curriculum, including monthly speaker series, skills and subject matter training, calendar of journalism and media events, and news and magazine subscriptions
- $250 annual learning stipend with additional funding available for key skills trainings and conference
- Quarterly goal setting, six-month performance reviews, and monthly engagement surveys (via Lattice Employee Engagement Software)
Benefits at Stacker include:
Fully Remote Team
Full Health & Dental Coverage
Weekly Meal Expense