About Type Investigations
Type Investigations is a nonprofit newsroom that produces ambitious investigative journalism. We tell deeply reported stories in partnership with print, broadcast, and digital media outlets — allowing us to bring our work to a wide range of audiences. Our team provides journalists with expert editorial guidance; rigorous fact-checking; research assistance; and funds to cover their travel, time, and other reporting costs. We are committed to reporting from the ground up, elevating stories from the communities most affected by wrongdoing.
Type Investigations is a project of Type Media Center, which is also home to a publishing imprint, along with fellowships, prizes, and events.
The Senior Editor will be responsible for overseeing the Ida B. Wells Fellowship program, an initiative launched in 2016. By mentoring reporters from historically underrepresented backgrounds on their first in-depth investigative projects, this editor will have the opportunity to make a meaningful intervention in the careers of emerging reporters and to contribute to building a more inclusive field.
The program has an extraordinary track record of producing award-winning, high-impact work. Former fellows have been hired in newsrooms across the country and several are now in leadership roles.
The Senior Editor will be responsible for:
• Providing intensive, hands-on guidance to four fellows each year as they fashion their investigative projects; develop their reporting plans; plan field reporting, source cultivation, interviews, and document acquisition; and shape their story narratives
• Commissioning and overseeing additional projects from fellowship alums
• Developing a vision for the program’s growth and expansion
• Overseeing an outreach plan to attract diverse fellowship applicants, and expanding our diverse team of outside nominators and mentors
• Coordinating an application and editorial review process
• Working closely with the fellows to place their stories in appropriate partner outlets and guiding them through early drafts
• Participating in routine editorial meetings as part of the Type Investigations team
• Participating in development activities related to the fellowship program
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated passion for diversifying journalism; strong reporting, writing, editing, and organizational skills; and sound editorial judgment. We seek candidates with experience reporting or editing feature-length work, reporting or editing investigative journalism, and mentoring reporters of color.
If you can imagine passionately guiding this project, please send a resume, cover letter, two references, and a writing or editing sample in PDF format to: email@example.com. Please include “Senior Editor Fellowship Program” in the subject line.
This is a full-time unionized position, with generous health, retirement, vacation, parental leave and flex-time benefits. Salary range: $80,000+, commensurate with experience. Our office is based in New York City, but remote candidates are also encouraged to apply.
Type Media Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to a diverse workplace and do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, partnership status, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Type Media Center is a non-profit home for independent journalists and authors. Our mission is to produce high-impact journalism and literary nonfiction that addresses injustice and inequality, catalyzes change, informs and uplifts social movements, and sparks national and global conversations while transforming and diversifying the fields of journalism and publishing.
Please send a resume, cover letter, two references, and a writing or editing sample in PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Senior Editor Fellowship Program” in the subject line.