Why join IRE? Take it from our members
“The training and the advice and the support that I get from IRE has really helped me as I work on projects.”
“I started at WSB and all I heard was, ‘You’ve got to be part of this IRE.’… They were absolutely right.”
“There’s a community of IRE members here that I’ll meet today that I’m convinced I’ll be talking to 10 years from now.”
IRE’s Articles of Incorporation provide for five classes of membership:
- Professional: People substantially engaged in news gathering, presentation or production.
- Academic: People engaged full-time in research or teaching in the field of journalism.
- Retired: People who formerly belonged to the professional and/or academic class but have retired from their occupation.
- Associate: Former professional or academic IRE members who are not retired, individuals engaged part-time in reporting or editing, plus individuals recognized by the Board of Directors for their contributions to IRE or to the field of investigative reporting and editing. Not eligible for voting rights.
- Student: College students pursuing a degree.
Click here for full terms and rates.
These days, there’s more pressure than ever to rise above your competition. IRE can help put the punch into your daily reporting – with resources you won’t find anywhere else.
With your membership, you’ll get:
Thousands of tipsheets
Some of the best reporters in the business have put together more than 3,000 guides to help you with you reporting. From step-by-step guides to computer-assisted reporting to tips on covering crime, the environment, education and more, our tipsheets are a great place to begin any investigation.
The National Institute for Computer-Assisted Reporting provides members access to more than 30 government databases covering campaign finance, transportation, crime and more.
Communicate with some of the biggest names in investigative journalism on one of the IRE listservs. Get tips, make connections and advance your career.
IRE Journal subscription
Keep up with the latest and greatest investigations and tips through our magazine, the IRE Journal.
Premium reporting tools
IRE now offers free access to premium versions of Tableau Desktop, a data analysis and visualization tool, and Cometdocs, an online file conversion and storage tool to better help journalists with PDF files. Members also get a discount on SmartProcure. To sign up, email Amy Johnston at email@example.com.
And much more