Corruption, cronyism, nepotism. Alabama has big stories to uncover. As a watchdog journalist for the state’s largest news organization, you can make a difference here.
Alabama Media Group which includes AL.com, The Birmingham News, The Huntsville Times and Press-Register of Mobile, is expanding its investigative team with seasoned journalists across the state.
We value curiosity, tenacity and ingenuity. This year we launched the Alabama Investigative Journalism Lab, which encourages innovation in reporting complex and significant stories through audience engagement. With the Center for Investigative Reporting and broadcast media across the state as partners, we’re forging a new model for the Fourth Estate.
We‘ve connected with hundreds of readers who have shared their experiences with the Affordable Care Act and how it has affected their lives. An investigation of the state prison system’s culture of abuse and lack of accountability is being fueled with stories we’ve collected from dozens of prison inmates and employees. These efforts and more have guided our reporting and enabled us to dig deeper.
Our news organizations have a strong history of investigative journalism: governors convicted of ethics and bribery charges, county officials convicted of fraud leading to a $4 billion bankruptcy and lawmakers double-dipping on state payrolls, which was uncovered in a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigation by The Birmingham News.
But we’re not resting on our laurels. The right candidates for our investigative team will thrive in a competitive, digitally focused environment. Using audience measurement and interaction as a guide, successful candidates will identify and explore stories that resonate and can bring about change.
To be successful, the applicant will need:
- Proven track record of investigative reporting
- The ability and drive to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately;
- A solid understanding of journalistic ethics;
- The ability to dissect and explain complex issues with a clear, authoritative and insightful approach;
- Experience in obtaining and analyzing public records and data sets for in-depth reporting;
- A thorough understanding of the value and techniques of data-driven storytelling;
- The demonstrated ability to capitalize on high-value topics by engaging audiences with frequency and urgency;
- Understanding the imperatives of multiple platforms;
- Experience using social media to source and promote content;
- The ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from its competitors.
If you are interested in applying for this role, e-mail your cover letter, a resume and links to your investigative reporting work to Matt Havard (Senior HR Manager, ACS Alabama) firstname.lastname@example.org
Alabama Media Group is a digitally-focused news and information company that combines quality journalism from The Birmingham News, The Huntsville Times, Mobile's Press-Register and The Mississippi Press with up-to-the-minute access of AL.com.
Alabama Media Group provides innovative ways to inform, connect and empower the people of Alabama and in the communities we serve. Alabama Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental impairment, sexual orientation or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.