By Sarah Morris
In Integrating CAR: Story Ideas for the Whole Newsroom, Mark Wert of The Cincinnati Enquirer and Jaimi Dowdell of IRE/NICAR gave ideas and tips relating to different beats that would require CAR skills.
Some of the tips they shared included:
- Build your own database.
- Use two databases to tell a story.
- Have the newsroom ready for breaking news by knowing where different types of databases are, such as OSHA records, bridge and dam databases and the Aircraft Registry.
- Use Guidestar and Foundation.org to find information about nonprofits
They also suggested ways to create a CAR environment. Tips for that include:
- Go to planning meetings.
- Offer training.
- Ask for beat planners.
- Be seen helping reporters learn data.
- When there’s interest from a reporter, follow-up immediately.
- Suggest story ideas.
- Look for teachable moments to help people learn. It helps grow support for CAR.