Cart 0 $0.00
IRE favicon

Despite fire safety issues, apartment complex remained open

Sarah Okeson and John McCarthy of Florida Today (Brevard County,
Fla.) report on Manor House, an apartment complex in Florida that did not have an adequate fire alarm system for two years. The county slapped it with the largest fine ever for a code enforcement violation. However, the complex was able to stay open because the fire marshall said conditions were not hazardous enough to merit shutting it down. The complex also had been cited by the state because the sprinkler system wasn't working, and there were problems with the fire extinguishers and the exits. The complex's new owners claim to be "doing everything we can to make it a safe and affordable place to live."

109 Lee Hills Hall, Missouri School of Journalism   |   221 S. Eighth St., Columbia, MO 65201   |   573-882-2042   |   |   Privacy Policy
crossmenu linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram
My cart
Your cart is empty.

Looks like you haven't made a choice yet.