You don’t have to be a full-time sports reporter to investigate athletes. This week we’re looking at sports investigations on several levels: college, military and professional. Join us for tips on getting around secretive athletics departments and digging deeper when players get in trouble. Here’s the lineup:
- Tom Roeder of the Colorado Springs Gazette discusses “Broken Code,” his investigation into the Air Force Academy’s athletics program.
- Jill Riepenhoff of the Columbus Dispatch explains how she tracked speeding tickets of Ohio State athletes.
- Brent Schrotenboer of USA Today Sports talks about investigating football team doctors.
You can find and download previous podcast episodes on iTunes or our Soundcloud page.
Looking for links to the stories, resources and events we discussed on this week's podcast? We've collected them for you.
- Read Tom Roeder’s series "Broken Code" on the Gazette’s website.
- Listen to our full conversation the Tom Roeder of the Colorado Springs Gazette.
- Members only: Watch our webinar “Watchdogging the Lions, Tigers, Bears, et al: Inside college sports.”
- Members only: Download the tipsheet “Using documents to investigate college sports.”
- Read Jill Riepenhoff’s Columbus Dispatch story on Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor’s traffic citations.
- Members only: Listen to “Campus coverage: College sports,” a 2014 IRE Conference panel featuring Paula Lavigne, Jodi Upton, Brad Wolverton, and Jill Riepenhoff.
- Check out U-T San Diego’s NFL arrests database, which includes arrests and citations involving NFL players since 2000.
- Read Brent Schrotenboer’s story on a San Diego Chargers doctor with a history of malpractice complaints.
- Members only: Listen to “Lessons from the field (and off): Covering the NFL and its intersection with local governments,” a 2014 IRE Conference panel featuring Liam Dillon, Brent Schrotenboer, Don Van Natta Jr., and Steve Fainaru.
- Browse our new story pack on sports investigations. From youth sports to stadiums to steroids, we’ve got resources to help you get your story off the ground.