The IRE website will be unavailable while we complete routine maintenance on Friday, November 19 from 8-10 am CT.
IRE favicon

Shop

Resource ID: #21762
Subject: Children
Source: WMAR-TV (Baltimore)
Affiliation: 
Date: Feb. 6, July 8

$0.00

Description

When a one-year-old baby was diagnosed with lead-poisoning, enough to cause brain damage, WMAR investigators started to test costume jewelry kids love. Results showed that all of the tested jewelry contained lead, and some contained enough to cause illness. This investigation lead the Consumer Product Safety Commission to announce a voluntary recall of more than 150 million pieces of jewelry sold out of gumball machines. This was the single largest voluntary recall of a children's product in the history of the agency.

141 Neff Annex   |   Missouri School of Journalism Columbia, MO 65211   |   573-882-2042   |   info@ire.org   |   Privacy Policy
apartmentpenciluserscalendar-fullcrossmenu linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram