The IRE website will be unavailable while we complete routine maintenance on Friday, April 16 from 8-10 am CT.
IRE favicon

Shop

Resource ID: #22794
Subject: Children
Source: WMAR-TV (Baltimore)
Affiliation: 
Date: 02/08/2004; 07/08/2004; 01/14/2005; 07/26/2006; 08/04/2006; 08/21/2006; 11/19/2006; 12/05/2006

$0.00

Description

In March of 2006, 4-year-old Jarnell Brown died after swallowing an item of lead jewelry made for children. Two years after its initial investigations into the dangers of lead in children's jewelry, the WMAR-TV team mobilized once again, its new reports on the harmful effects of lead poisoning in young children compelled both the city and federal governments to take action. In the wake of these investigations, Congressmen Henry Waxman (D-CA) and Barack Obama (D-IL) are planning to introduce legislation to ban lead in children's products.

141 Neff Annex   |   Missouri School of Journalism Columbia, MO 65211   |   573-882-2042   |   info@ire.org   |   Privacy Policy
apartmentpenciluserscalendar-fullcrossmenuwarning linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram