The Shocking Truth about Pools is a ground breaking investigation that is changing pool safety laws and already saving lives. It began with the tragic electrocution of a 7-year-old boy April 13, 2014. Calder Sloan took a deep breath, jumped into the family pool, and raced across to the deep end. As he touched the pool light he was jolted to the surface by more than 120 volts. He never stood a chance of surviving. A week later three more children were shocked in an apartment complex pool. This time though, they all lived. We wanted to know how those in the apartment pool survived when Calder didn't in his family pool. What we discovered were two different standards for commercial and residential pools. Commercial pools were required by law to carry low voltage power. That's the equivalent of a 9 volt battery. Meanwhile residential pools can carry 120 volts or more. What's the difference between 9 volts and 120 volts? Life and death. It was something the pool industry knew very well… but had kept quiet in the name of profits.