The IRE Resource Center is a major research library containing more than 27,000 investigative stories.
Most of our stories are not available for download but can be easily ordered by contacting the Resource Center directly at 573-882-3364 or firstname.lastname@example.org where a researcher can help you pinpoint what you need.
Search results for "Athens County" ...
In 2016, an apartment building in Athens County took out a loan for $48.3 million. Yet it was paying property tax as if it were valued at $13.8 million, a whopping $35 million difference. When the Cleveland Plain Dealer first reported on this in 2018, it got us thinking: there's a lot of great data out there that we could put together to see how much this actually costs our readers.
“Domestic Violence Dismissals” analyzed the complex institution behind domestic violence court cases, specifically focusing on the high rate of case dismissals. On average, only 20 percent of cases of domestic violence in Athens County, Ohio, are prosecuted. The majority of the remaining 80 percent are dismissed, with a smaller percentage – but still substantial amount – of cases reduced to a lesser charge. Cases are dismissed for a multitude of reasons, often including a lack of response from the victim or a victims’ unwillingness to prosecute. The story further delved into the nuance of dismissing a domestic violence case.
A four-month investigation into the whereabouts of Athens County law enforcement agencies' seizures and forfeitures of items obtained during drug busts revealed that many, particularly the Sheriff, failed to report these items to the Attorney General's Office and could not account for the whereabouts of these items when questioned.