Data in Local Newsrooms Training Program
The Data In Local Newsrooms Training Program provides free data training to small and midsize newsrooms in the U.S. and Canada.
What will selected newsrooms receive?
- Two consecutive days of hands-on data training, led by an IRE trainer, with modules focused on using Google Sheets, SQL and/or tools for extracting, cleaning and visualizing data.
- One-year IRE memberships for up to 15 employees.
- Follow-up consultation and mentoring from IRE trainers.
- Scholarship opportunities to attend IRE’s national conferences.
- Credits toward IRE data services.
How are newsrooms selected?
- An editor, news director or equivalent must complete the application.
- IRE training staff will serve as the selection committee. Google is not involved in the selection process.
- Successful applicants will have a clear plan to encourage more data work in their newsroom, a commitment to send most of their staff to the training, and specific ideas for data-powered journalism that this training could help them accomplish.
- Newsrooms must be based in the U.S. or Canada and meet the criteria for a small to midsize news organization:
- For newspapers, Sunday circulation (or largest circulation day) of 100,000 and below
- For magazines, circulation of 100,000 and below
- For broadcast, markets below the Top 20
- For online-only organizations, sites with a local or regional audience
- Selected newsrooms will need to provide a projector, laptops/computers for attendees.
- Commitment to allowing a significant portion of the staff to attend the entire training.
- Note: The application deadline for 2019 has passed.
How many from the newsroom need to attend the training?
A significant portion of the staff must attend the entire two consecutive days of training.
When would the training take place?
Before March 2020. The IRE trainer will coordinate the exact dates with the newsroom manager.
Can the newsroom have input into the curriculum being taught to its newsroom?
The IRE trainer is interested in hearing needs of the newsroom. The requests need to be in line with the goal of this training program, which is to bring data training to journalists.
How many newsrooms will be selected?
Ten small to midsize local newsrooms in the U.S. and Canada will be selected.
Who will review the applications and make the selections?
The IRE training staff will review the applications and select the newsrooms to receive this free training.
Share your work with us
We want to see the work you’ve produced after IRE training. You can fill out this form, send us a link via Twitter or email us. We’ll feature your watchdog work on our investigative blog, Extra Extra.
Contact IRE training director Cody Winchester: email@example.com.